I love hot chocolate cake. I’m not sure when this fad in restaurant desserts began but I’m sure it is here to stay. Almost every restaurant will offer some sort of delicious hot and gooey chocolate dessert and that is what I always order; even if I’m not hungry. I somehow manage to make room for this sweet and decadent delight.
I don’t often make this dessert at home, but whenever I do, I use a super simple recipe I adapted from Hershey’s Classic Recipe cookbook. Not only is it easy to make, but it is non-dairy and vegan! It’s baked in a plain old square pan. Once it comes out of the oven it can be spooned into any fancy serving dishes. No need to buy special ramekins or bakeware! This recipe could not be easier and it is so easy to dress up. Just add some fresh fruit, whipped cream, your favorite ice cream and you are sure to look like a pro. The hot chocolate pudding forms underneath the cake as the cake is baking, so just be sure to drizzle plenty of it over the top. Hot chocolate pudding cake is definitely one of the best things I have ever eaten. Treat yourself to some today!
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa, divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup soy milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1¼ cups hot water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together ¾ cup sugar, flour, ¼ cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the soy milk, coconut oil, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into ungreased 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
- Stir together the remaining ½ cup sugar, brown sugar, and remaining ¼ cup cocoa and sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Pour hot water over the whole top and do not stir.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center is almost set.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before spooning into serving dishes. Be sure to spoon the hot chocolate pudding from the bottom of the pan.
Tips and Tricks:
*The recipe can be prepared ahead of time, just prepare up until adding the hot water. About 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, pour the hot water over the top and bake as directed.
*The cake can be made ahead of time and kept warm in a 200 degree F oven.