I’m sure by now you have heard of this exciting new cookbook! Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek, authors of the “Made Easy” cookbooks are back with an exciting new cookbook concept! Leah and Victoria go into the kitchens of more than 70 top kosher restaurants for all over the world to share the recipes behind the dishes that keep us coming back for more. Not only does this book share secret recipes, but these famous chefs share tips, tricks, and techniques that every home cook would love to learn!
What really draws me to cookbooks these days, are the photos included, and this cookbook does not disappoint. There is huge color photo for every recipe in this book! I have already made a few dishes from this book, and they came out exactly as pictured!
I was expecting this gorgeous book to be filled with complicated recipes, but there is a nice range of recipes from simpler to slightly more complex. A beginner cook will find plenty of recipes to try and can work up to more complicated recipes and techniques. Some of the recipes require a bit of ingredient sourcing, but as a foodie, this is not a drawback! I love learning about new ingredients and given a great recipe, I learn how to use these ingredients. With kosher supermarkets really catering towards kosher foodies, it is not too hard to find new and interesting ingredients.
I love to cook, but as a pastry chef, I am always drawn to the dessert section of cookbooks. While this book does not offer a huge selection of desserts, the recipes that Leah and Victoria do share look incredible. Artscroll/Mesorah Publications has given me permission to share this decadent dairy dessert recipe for Praline Brownies from Bagels ‘N Greens.
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⅓ cups (11 oz) sugar
- 1 cup (5 oz) flour
- ½ cup (2 oz) cocoa
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp nut extract (optional)
- 2 tsp praline extract (optional)
- 7 oz white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz milk chocolate
- 4 Tbsp praline paste
- 4 oz mixed crunchy nuts
- chocolate and white chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a rimmed 9 x 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate with the butter.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip eggs and sugar at high speed for 5-6 minutes.
- Carefully pour in melted chocolate mixture. Sift in flour, cocoa, and salt. Mix until mixture is smooth and shiny, about 4 minutes. Add in extracts, if using. Fold in white chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes (the edges should be hard, top cracked, and middle soft).
- Prepare the frosting: Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Add praline paste and mix until combined. Gently pour over the top of the cake. Tilt the pan sideways until entire cake is fully covered. Sprinkle nuts or chocolate curls on top. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until frosting is set. Let cool before slicing into bars.
Now for the giveway sponsored by Artscroll/Mesorah Publications! One lucky reader will win a free copy of Secret Restaurant Recipes. Contest open to US mailing addresses only. One winner will be chosen at random. Giveaway ends at 10AM EST on Wednesday, January 15, 2015 Please provide a valid email address; winner will be notified via email. Winner has 24 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen. Giveaway is over! Congrats to Manda!
a Rafflecopter giveaway