Cookie butter is all the rage right now. I love the speculoos cookies, but the cookie spread is a little too sweet to eat on its own. I know that’s not the popular opinion, but it’s mine and I’m sticking to it! So I keep trying to use it in different desserts. Some have been successful and some have flopped. This recipe is a definite success. It’s also a no bake recipe, which is why I tried it in the first place. I was preparing dinner, pot roast. I was so proud of myself, I prepped early! But as I was putting my roast in the over for 3-4 hours on 275 degrees F, I realized I couldn’t bake anything else! Cookie butter crispy treats to the rescue.
This recipe is super easy and quick. You need a bit of patience to get it right, but it’s worth the minimal effort! I used to use marshmallow cream to make traditional crispy treats. Don’t get me wrong, they taste great, but they were always gooey and messy. Plus they would fall apart, and I wanted these to hold their shape. I asked my friend Rebecca of I Want That Dessert fame, for her tips and tricks. She always posts these perfect looking treats and I just had to know how she does it!
Rebecca had a few very key points for success. In order to make perfect looking dairy free kosher marshmallow treats: use Paskesz brand mini marshmallows. According to Rebecca, these are the best ones to use, they melt really nicely. (This is not a sponsored post, I’m just sharing my preferred brand with you!) Also, use the microwave! Melt the margarine (or butter) in a large bowl in the microwave. I added the cookie butter in at this point as well. Then dump in the marshmallows and stir. Heat the marshmallow mixture for 10 seconds at a time mixing in between. It will take some time here. You may think this will never work. You may want to give up. DONT! Do not give up. Keep heating and mixing. The marshmallows will melt. As soon as the mixture is smooth and gooey pour in the rice cereal. Mix quickly and carefully, this will be hot! Pour the mixture into a prepared pan and press flat. I lined a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper and got flatter treats. For thicker treats use an 8×8 inch or 9×9 inch square. To help press into the pan, spray your hands with cooking spray so the treats won’t stick. Once the treats are firmly packed, allow to cool and then cut into squares. Easy, amazing, dairy-free, no-bake perfection!
The cookie butter crispy treats are perfect as is, but my husband needed more cookie butter intensity. In that case, just melt some extra cookie butter and drizzle it down on top!
- 4 Tbs. margarine
- ⅔ cup crunchy or smooth cookie butter (such as Lotus Brand)
- pinch of salt
- 8 oz. package of Paskez mini marshmallows
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. For thinner treats use a 9x13 inch pan. For thicker treats use an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan. Set aside.
- Measure out the rice cereal and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl (large enough to accommodate all the cereal), melt the margarine, cookie butter, and salt.
- Once melted, pour in the marshmallows and stir to coat.
- Continue microwaving on high for 10 seconds at a time, stirring in between. This process could take 2-3 minutes but will ensure success.
- Once completely melted, pour in the cereal and quickly stir to combine.
- Pour cereal mixture into prepared pan and press firmly into place.
- Allow to cool and then cut into squares.